Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Preparations for St. Andrews

I headed over to Trafford Golf Centre to prepare for my upcoming trip to St. Andrews.
I had yet to hit a golf ball since I first arrived in Britain so I felt I was due.
St. Andrews is known as the "home of golf" and is home to the famous Old Course.
The Old Course is considered to be the oldest golf course in the world, dating back 600 years.
The course has hosted the Open Championship 28 times, the first in 1873.
Unfortunately I am unable to play the Old Course as I have no handicap card.
-- That and I am nowhere near Tiger Woods standard!



None the less, the New Course that runs adjacent to the Old Course is available for me to play.
The New Course opened for play in 1895.
Upon coming to Britain, it was my hope to have the chance to play at St. Andrews Links.


(This sign at Trafford Golf Centre cracked me up! "Responsible Adult")



Although I am not the world's most avid golfer, I understand the importance of St. Andrews.
As I have watched the Open being played at St. Andrews a number of times, I am looking forward to having to combat the high, changing winds rolling in off the North Sea, as well as the ever changing Scottish weather.

This is a challenge I accept!

Whilst at the driving range, I became more confident in my ability to keep the ball straight.
Driving still gives me troubles, but luckily I only have to get off the tee each hole!
I continued to work on my short-game and make use of tips I learned in golf class at UNCG.

Come tee time, I will be ready!