Pages

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Southampton FC vs. Sunderland

Not much to be said about this one. I still remain 0-1-\infty through my time at live games for Southampton. And giving up a 2-0 lead to a team that played as dire as Sunderland did was a sour ending to the journey that started early Saturday morning only on a wee amount of sleep.

And let's be honest, I've tired everything. I put my shorts on differently today. I didn't put my Lallana top on, wore my scarf a bit different -- anything really, like those Bud Light, "Very Superstitious", adverts, heh. But nothing has worked, yet. Hopefully I can redeem myself as I joked after with Mackinnon and his dad that I'm carrying this draw on my shoulders, taking full accountability.

As for the day itself, I needed all the layers I put on today! It was dreary out and windy inside the grounds. The Stadium of Light acted like a wind tunnel up on the second level.

Onto the goals...

Jay Rodriguez scored a stunner in the 4th minute. He kicked up the ball and hit it smoothly on the volley. Dejan Lovren flicked in from a corner kick in the 31st minute, which I actually thought he had miss-hit the ball, but it cooly glided into the corner. But those goals were cancelled out in the 31st and 71st minute by Fabio Borini and Adam Johnson, respectively. It was tough to watch three points fall away like that as Saints dominated with confidence, grabbing 63% of the possession.

Most importantly, coming from a game like this are the status of Lovren and Gaston who both suffered injuries right at the death. Both went to hospital but were able to leave with the team, so that is good news! Also, Boruc came up a bit gimpy after a save and it looked like he was going to have to make way for Kelvin, but luckily he was able to continue. Can't lose him again in his second game back coming off a broken wrist.

Southampton FC 2: Sunderland AFC 2

Southampton FC Starting XI: Artur Boruc, Calum Chambers, Dejan Lovren (→ Maya Yoshida), Jose Fonte, Luke Shaw, Morgan Schneiderlin, Jack Cork, Steven Davis, Adam Lallana (→ Gaston Ramirez → James Ward-Prowse), Jay Rodriguez, Rickie Lambert.

Subs: Kelvin Davis, Nathaniel Clyne, Maya Yoshida, James Ward-Prowse, Guly Do Prado, Gaston Ramirez.

Sunderland AFC Starting XI: Vito Mannone, Phil Bardsley, John O'Shea, Wes Brown, Marcos Alonso, Lee Cattermole (→ Craig Gardner), Adam Johnson, Sebastian Larsson (→ Jack Colback), Ki Sung-Yeung, Fabio Borini, Jozy Altidore (→ Steven Fletcher).

Subs: Craig Gardner, Steven Fletcher, Ondrej Celustka, Jordan Pickford, Jack Colback, Emanuele Giaccherini, Valentine Roberge.