Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Uni Survival Guide (Entry IV)

Dinner for one selfie.
The other day I was asked what I missed most about America -- a totally loaded question that caught me off guard as I've always just accepted the handful of things I miss. I always knew I was going to tell them my family, but like a nutter I said the food. Don't worry mama, I changed my answer. Though the question kept me thinking days later what exactly I missed and then I thought of all the places I'd go eat with my family where we'd laugh, talk sports, create awkward situations for everyone else in the restaurant. Places like TendersPaneraSteak N Shake, and Mac's crossed my mind -- maybe its that I was hungry at the time (I'd only had a hot chocolate that day) ; maybe its that as a family we select restaurant destinations to bring friends to more than any other type of place (just ask Mackinnon and Revesz about that six egg, chicken, pepper, onion, omelet) ; maybe, just maybe.

At that moment, I was swept away most by the adventures to Joel's where I would order a chicken fried rice (large) with vegetable sushi and soup. To me, it was always worth the gamble traveling up I-77 to Exit 33 at 4pm where the motorway sits rife with bad drivers trying to delay your Asian grill experience...

Uni now is but a spec in my review mirror -- well, the undergraduate portion of it at least. A potential place on a postgrad journalism is clear as day out the front window with an interview at Uni of Salford lined up for 24th June. Fingers crossed.

But I conclude my undergraduate degree eating my way through a memory of home: my tossed-together-because-I-ran-out-of-Worcester-sauce-and-only-have-soy-sauce version of chicken fried rice. Its main contribution to my ever-widening "energised for school diet"? None whatsoever. Its summer and my brother is a brick house recognised by Under Armour. I'm fitna get on that level.

Jokes.
I just miss my other Guatemalan half.
He and I will trek London on his first visit to the UK in July.
Hope he's gotten his cardio up.

UNI CHICKEN FRIED RICE:
(DUNNO IF IT IS REALLY FRIED)

Frozen mixed veggies
1 cup brown rice
1 or 2 chicken breast(s); diced -- Quorn for certain individuals ;D
1 diced courgette
Soy sauce
1 egg to be fried and diced

Assemble. But don't trust me to make the rice correctly.

What they said:
"I like how its under 'Uni Survival Guide'; eat as much as you can." <-- before it goes off.
"One cup of a rice? That's like two meals" <-- good sir, you are wrong!
"Gotta get it in early before ice hockey!" <-- I guess two hours is long enough?

What I said:
"I'm so full."

----
Edit note: For the copious amounts of Latin rock and reggaeton I have been listening to the last handful of days I am unsure as to why I have craved Asian food...

Jamming recently to Guatemala's finest export (aside from me of course), Malacates Trebol Shop. I'd trade an arm to be Francisco Paez and a leg to be Nick Wheeler: