Pages

Saturday, October 11, 2014

MA Journalism

I have been at the MA grind for a full two weeks now and needless to say, it is tiring and I do believe I am still alive... barely, but it's been everything I hoped it would be and everything I expected. The MediaCity UK campus is absolutely stunning, as it were on the tour I was given this past summer, and even more so now that it is fully populated by students, alongside the neighbours at the BBC, Granda, and ITV. They say you never know who you are going to ruin into, and, well, I've run into no one of note so far.

Apparently, all the "in-crowd" like Costa and lifts.

To be fair, I've not exactly been "people spotting" on my breaks. I've been too busy trying to find a reliable source of food that keeps me going.

I have made friends across all pathways -- broadcast, news, and sport -- and our pastime is playing curling or four-person air hockey on the touch screen tables during breaks.

Shorthand takes up the most time in and away from the classroom as it is schedule for three times a week (everyday MAs are required to be in). It's like relearning how to write all over again. The module itself is taught through Teeline's Gold Standard for Journalists, which is accepted by the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) -- the secondary qualification I will hopefully receive following the completion of this programme. Remembering a new word each day or something small from the previous day is a victory for me. The goal is to be at 100 words per minute, or close to it by March/April.

I am also learning essential UK government and media law, which is an absolute sludge, but a total requirement. The course is designed to make us the qualified and well-rounded candidates, so modules like government and law will certainly do this. These modules also prepare the group for NCTJ exams. As an American, it is interesting to learn a completely different governmental system. The two units are separated into two two-hour blocks with break in between.

I do feel like I'm back in high school though, where I dreaded going to U.S. Government.

Tuesday's only other class aside from shorthand is News Writing, or writing and gathering news. In News Writing, we learn and put into practice where news comes from, how we find it, and what makes something news worthy.

Wednesday starts with shorthand, of course, and is then followed by a group lesson where professionals come in to discuss topics related to the industry. Designated as News and Ethics, or ethics and professional practice, the hour module gives us that extra insight on why we do what we do, the power we have, and how we can work within our limits yet still do our job.

Directly following that we split into two groups, as we do for News Writing, and learn various Online and Broadcast skills -- putting content online, using photos, the mobile journalists, etc..

Overall, the standard and quality of the course is as billed -- semester one's schedule that is.
----
Note: Pole dancing got much harder. I spend most of my time upside down.