Pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

New Christmas rule: no sweatshirts

Whilst in queue for security at the airport, I was roughly in earshot of a young girl who seemed to be leaving home properly for the first time. She was in tears and on her way to study in Barcelona. It makes you wonder, with the fantastic weather in Barcelona why would one be in tears?

My parents insist I return home for Christmas holiday and, if they can steal me, for a bit of the summer, which is something they don’t need to twist my arm about for either. I enjoy everything about being home.

Over the last calendar year, I have spent a total of six weeks at home. That’s not a lot… just enough to taste a routine. SportsCenter first thing in the morning with a bagel from Bruegger's ; pointless trips to North Lake Mall ; I forgot to eat Jimmy John's this time... 

I like seeing my aunties and uncles and my cousins. I don’t say much at  our gatherings. I interact sparingly. Grin and observe. When the moment’s gone, I remember events like when Uncle Chip would firmly squeeze my shoulder with his hand on his way out and say: “I miss you – I wish we had more time to talk.”

My friend, Tom Revesz, made the family photo and I’m glad he could share in our big family dinner. He’s family.

A special trip: My mother, he [Revesz], and I spent a long day on the 29th travelling to Raleigh, NC to see the Carolina Hurricanes play. The Canes lost 3-1 to Montreal, if you bother. Along the way we turned his already City blue blood into Carolina blue blood by visiting the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He had the full experience: eating on Franklin Street, visiting the Old Well, seeing Carmichael and the Smith Center, and finally, buying new swag from Johnny Tshirt.

Some might say it's the wrong Carolina. I like both Carolinas and I know which to wear to my uncle's.

Unfortunately/fortunately for Revesz, most of our time was dedicated to watching the college football bowl games. For him, we felt it must’ve gotten old quick, but by the end he was interested in his game picks. For the record he came in second, behind the winner: me. Not bad for a rookie.


There were several first with Revesz about. I was present for the purchase of a Michael Kors handbag and for lipstick. It was the first time I’d ever been in a Michael Kors store as well.

Here's to my favourite dogs at the condo: Heidi, TJ, Angus and Lexie.