Pages

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Silverstein at Sound Control

Mack and I turned back the clocks at this gig to age 15 - technically 14 for me - as we saw Silverstein on the 'Discovering the Waterfront' 10-Year Anniversary Tour with support from Polar and Blood Youth.

We didn't even know the name of Blood Youth until Shane Told, vox of Silverstein, said it. Although it is possible he said it at the start of the set but Mack and I were both quick to judge... little did we know we had to get through Polar who weren't bad, they just were very generic.

(I personally give them credit because that "Glass Cutter" song of theirs is catchy.)

Naturally, Killing the Dream, The Carrier and Empty Vision will always be my favourite melo-hardcore bands as that's kind of what I'd consider Polar to be. Moving on.

I know I was dressed like a 15-year-old going to a show in "the scene". I had the flannel on, the tight fit jeans, the Nikes and the flat brim on a bit northwest AND one gigantic pimple on my chin. I guess you can add that I was trying to grow some facial hair as I hadn't shaved since Monday.

Meanwhile, Mack was quietly excited. I tend to fangirl as seen when at the I Killed the Prom Queen where I nearly sliced the head of a one Siobhan clean off.

The two of us stood off to the side at the back throughout the night until Silverstein were up. We then moved off the side just a little closer.

For an hour and a half set there was no possible way for either of our frail bodies to last all night - even in our youthful state.

Once Silverstein came on, I was basically speechless. I could only smile as it had been a "10 years in the making" sort of thing to see them live. And they are flawless live. Spot on up there with bands like Within the Ruins, Killswitch Engage and All-American Rejects in terms of quality.

Silverstein's first eight songs were all off other albums, including Smashed Into Pieces and Bleeds No More off their 2004 album and A Midwestern State of Emergency from their forthcoming effort to be released in May.

Brilliance as all I could do was stand there with the occasional arm grab of Mack during "Vices", "Sacrifice" and "Massachusetts".

DISCOVERING THE WATERFRONT in its entirety is not built for words. The album itself is a true work of art, hence why it peaked at number three on the U.S. Billboard Independent Album chart and 34 on the Billboard 200.

The first song I ever listened to was "Smile In Your Sleep" and I was hooked from there. It took me ages to discover (not intended) the rest of the album after that song because I would have that one on repeat. But "First Wrapped In Blood" and "My Heroine" are beautiful.

MY HEROINE. Until this point, Mack and I had looked like the coolest 15-year-olds in the place by standing off to the side, arms folded - except for the guy who looked about 40 who knew every word and was going mental. He looked cool.

"Go, I'm right behind you," was all that Mack said.

And then we were just four deep near the front. Never had such watery eyes in my life. And for a venue that had been immense all night, it went up about 20 notches.

In terms of where the night ranks, it is hard to say. Seeing I Killed the Prom Queen was amazing, as was the show many moons ago where I saw Escape the Fate with Ronnie, LoveHateHero and BlessTheFall. Heck, even All-American Rejects was insane and they were being supported by Bo Bice.

No, it's right up there because it was incredible and everything my 15-year-old self had hoped for.