Pages

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Liverpool - Southampton - magazine - breathe.

The last three weeks have been nonstop - after attending Southampton's draw at Anfield, I spent the next week pulling together a 32-page magazine for the Lancashire Spinners Basketball Club - I then had to pause to go to Southampton for the 'derby' between Saints and Bournemouth. Upon my return to Manchester, I managed to finish the magazine by deadline before realising the file had one corrupt page. Frantically, I copied the document and sorted it out - it's been a learning curve putting together a magazine but so rewarding having now seen it in print.

And exhale. Three weeks pushed into one paragraph.

After missing out on Southampton's Europa League triumph against Vitesse (before being knocked out of the competition in the following round), seeing them at Anfield was my first chance to see the new summer signings in person. They included Maarten Stecklenburg, Cedric Soares, Virgil Van Dijk, Juanmi, Oriol Romeu and Jordy Clasie. It was also the return of Gaston Ramirez - someone who shines for me on FIFA!

Sadio Mane equalised late for Southampton sending us away lot into a frenzy. As usual, I was with Andrew Mackinnon and his dad Ken, and once the ball crossed the line, Andrew lifted me into the air nearly dropping me into the row in front. I haven't but I feel I should get this graze checked out as Anfield has been there since 1884.

The following week was dedicated to creating a magazine to sell at Lancashire Spinners games in order to bring in a form of income as I wait patiently for a job. I had used a designing programme before to do newspaper design for a university assignment but making a magazine with really no experience was a task. Although with inspiration from Sports Illustrated and Cosmopolitan, I was able to do so.

The end product was even better than I had expected. The pop-up shop at the November 7 game against Tees Valley sold 20 copies but better numbers should come when we play Manchester Magic on the 21st.

Backtrack six days. My record at Southampton matches is something like three wins, one loss (Doncaster in 2011) and a copious amount of draws. Bournemouth helped me add another in the win column after Saints ran away with the match in the first half on goals from Steven Davis and Graziano Pelle. The better part? Both were scored at our end of St Mary's.

All in all, a decent three weeks. Made In Chelsea is also back so nothing to complain about.