Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

House Fantasy Hockey

For a bit of banter with the housemates, who are or are former hockey players for the Manchester Metros, we set up a fantasy hockey league to keep us busy.

Personally, I had never done any sort of fantasy sport for a major American professional league, but I had done fantasy football for the Premier League and found it to be interesting, but in comparison to fantasy hockey, nowhere as engaging. Fantasy hockey allows the league participants to select the point scoring categories, such as goals, assists, points, penalty minutes, ect. for both players and goalies. For goalies we do games started, wins, loses, goals against average, save %, and shutouts.

Even from the start it was a laugh as League Commish Chris Brumby, and participant Matt Rohani spent hours on their team logos -- Rusholme Kebabhawks and Supper Sharkalo. And yes, no typo on "Supper", but he really meant to type "Super". I kept it easy and went for the Gunnstars, which in the last four weeks, I have been in star form. fathers 4 justice is one of our goalie friends, and Metros C team goalie. Two other housemates, Brumby2 (Jabheads), and Nic (The Dre Tones) round out the league.

Back in October, right on the day the NHL season started, we had our draft, which in all fairness kept getting postponed due to extenuating circumstances. We drew numbers from a hat to decide the order. And I, being all lucky, drew the 1st overall pick. And with that pick, I selected Alex Ovechkin. He will single-handedly win me Week 10 as he scored four goals last night against the Lightening. In fact, I had 3 of the top 5 league leaders in goals.

My goalies are also doing quite well league-wide as I have the goalie with the best GAA, who also happens to have the 2nd best save percentage.

Now it all seems like just a bunch of stats, but I know for many of my fellow Americans, as a nation, who knows how much of our time in school, or at the office is spent behind a computer screen checking our fantasy teams. Teams we apparently have, "no control over." Lies! Can smack talk our opponents, can forgot to put someone out on the ice, making the tough coaching decisions.

It hasn't always been a bed of roses for my team. I myself have made an embarrassing 16 changes to my team. The closest is Chris, owner of Supper Sharkalo -- a shark mixed with a buffalo for those who haven't picked up on it yet... He has made 10 changes.

Regardless of who wins the imaginary Stanley Cup at the end of the year, its all about bringing us hockey fans inches closer to the game whilst having some good fun.

I hope I bloody win for house supremacy!