Pages

Monday, August 11, 2014

Strikeout ALS

"Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth. ... I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

We are 75 years on from the iconic words of Lou Gehrig with little change.

For at least the last week and a half I have done little with my days. I sit on Twitter, on the couch, and watch Criminal Minds. I have also sat on Facebook watching ice bucket challenge after ice bucket challenge from an array of individuals: professional athletes, high-profile sportscasters, former teammates, and the total stranger. I laugh, I smile, I move on. Now, before you start bahumbuging me as someone with no heart, I tend to favour my donations towards the Kay Yow Cancer Fund as she was my mother's boss at NC State, whom through I have learnt a great deal of life lessons from.

More so recently, I have watched both sides state their case (as what always happens with anything this day and age of technology), that, "The Ice Bucket Challenge's intentions are self-motivated; not everyone is donating. They're just doing it to be x and y". On the other hand, the Ice Bucket Challenge is serving it's desired purpose as the ALS Association has seen a, "Major Surge in donations", raising $168,000 (£100,050) online nationally this past week alone, according to the Association's president, Barbara Newhouse.

That kind of change is pretty special. You can't deny results. Me? I was unsure myself until I read a few stories. Boston Herald writer, Steve Buckley, had one that stood out the most as he is someone close to the situation. That first hand account was enough.

Take it as you wish. A gimmick. A clever ruse -- for apparent "self-recognition".

But when you think of the latter, try and remember why this phenomenon started: Pete Frates. A man, himself, suffering with Lou Gehrig's disease. Already he has sought tirelessly to bring awareness to his own condition, which he was diagnosed with in 2012. Frates' commitment whilst limited only to his wheelchair is admirable. He hasn't given up. And this past week, he's not been alone -- whether you agree with his challenge or not, he has you talking. Success achieved.

I donated to Team Gleason, a foundation that represents former NFLer Steve Gleason.

And then there's this because, after all, the Frates family requested smiles.
Note: I am not a public speaker. I am too shy, so I forgot half of what I was supposed to say.
#icebucketchallenge #strikeoutals