Pages

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Tommy Gunn with Matt Nathanson

I like to think I have the best brother possible. There are things that do confirm this notion -- immaterial and occasionally material. The immaterial are those brotherly moments you can't write. Most of the times, only things we get. Tommy goes out of his way to ensure Lil' Man is looked after and I appreciate that wholeheartedly.

Last night he got to see Matt Nathanson again, again, again, again. Maybe one more again? I couldn't be there as Tommy didn't realise he was at the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach so soon. So make that another time I've missed an opportunity to see Nathanson live. The last being when my parents visited me in March and my mother goes, "Oh! Matt Nathanson was just here..." Crestfallen.

It's a fact that anything Matt Nathanson get's my brother hype.  I was flooded with texts during and after the show: "I told him I first saw him live in '06 at Westfield State. He flipped. Then I told him I took MA to his first sold out show in NoHo. He flipped again." Poor Tommy only got a photo... but he gets to see him. I have to stick to YouTube and his Deep Rock performance from 2008, one of our favourites.

The next chapter in my brother's dialogues with Matt Nathanson is legendary:

THOMAS: "My brother couldn't make it tonight and he loves 'Detroit Waves' so I was wondering if you could give him a shoutout saying something about it?"

MATT: "F*** yeah! Where does he live?"

THOMAS: "Well he lives in England..."

MATT: "I was just there! What's his name?"

THOMAS: "Allen."

MATT: "Alright, let's do it, you ready?!"

[Thanks for the shoutout.]