Pages

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Almost Famous; pretty popular


Third time is the charm -- and I finally have the meal down that I will get everytime someone suggests we go Almost Famous at the Great Northern Warehouse. What does that mean? I should probably give them a shoutout as I am a repeat customer to the madness and a regular to the Pig N' Waffle fries. 

Also, the hybridity of casual British rules dinning matched with upper echelon quality intrigues me.

There portions are gargantuan in comparison to typical local cuisne and the flavours are bitey with a serious personal flair for theatrics, so don't let the flimsy, punny, and generic Word Processor font menu fool you -- Comic Sans didn't keep Lebron James away from Cleveland and American Typewriter shouldn't deter you because Almost Famous means obscure burger business drenched in their Redneck BBQ Sauce. The service sarcastically mirrors their sauce's snarky personality. The waitstaff are fans of what they serve and appear jealous as they watch their patrons consume the deliciousness.

My first experience at Almost Famous was near-catatonic. Not only did I pre-game my meal with an Asda create-your-own pizza, but I did so within an hour of the main feast that included the Hog Hammer Pulled Pork sandwich alongside Pig N' Waffle fries. Together they form one colossal demon and as standalones they are individual colossal demons, still. Now I just stick to the Pig N' Waffle fries. Not only does the £5 price tag satisfy my conservative fiscal beliefs, but it totally fills my stomach -- a reward for so little. As North Carolinian bred, where I'm generally picky with what comes on my pulled pork, here I say, "load'em up lads!".

Pig N Waffle fries are a brilliant combination of pulled pork and waffle fries -- genius -- with fires doused in their signature Redneck BBQ Sauce (still don't know what's so redneck about it) and Bleu Cheese Sauce, topped by diced onions and jalapeños. Fork required as it gets a little bit messy.

Whilst I generally order from either the non burger or fries sections, the burger flow is something heavy. There are patties stuffed with pulled pork or chorizo and you'll only find double cheeseburgers here. Bring an appetite. I recently had a catchup meal with a friend from university who ordered the Chilli Chilli Chilli Cheeseburger, Winning fries -- a mix of sweet potato and regular -- with a Charlie Brown milkshake. One sip to taste the milkshake was my allotment of sugar for the week alone and it was only Monday.

If you have the time and patience, I highly recommend a visit to Almost Famous. Luckily the times I have been it's been rather quiet. Once at lunch, twice around 5PM, but the wait for a table as it gets busier can be horrific.

Almost Famous is on Twitter: @AlmostFamousGN.
----
Edit note: Justify, justified.