Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

First grade is in!

I've handed in two essays so far and have had one essay test.
That will be a result of a grade in each class.

Although... I'd much not rather see my grade for Writing & Culture as I believe I did the wrong question, but oh well! Maybe they'll give me a exchange student benefit of the doubt.

I have received my grade, as well as feedback on my British Writing & The Enlightenment essay comparing 2 discourses, one by Sir Robert Filmer and the other by John Locke. I am pretty pleased with how the essay turned out as well as my grade, a 64/100.

Professor Jess Edwards left several words of encouragement as well as a few pointers for future assignments. His overall/general comment is as follows:

"This is a little halting at the beginning, and there are some problems with expression that I'd urge you to look at closely (see my comments on the essay). But it really builds, and by the end you've made a very interesting and quite distinctively personal case for the significance of Locke's 'progressive' ideas. I enjoyed reading this."

British Undergraduate Degree Classification:
First Class Honors (1st) - 70+
Second Class Honors (Upper) - 2:1 - 60-69
Second Class Honors (Lower) 2:2 - 50-59
Third Class Honors (3rd) - 40-49
Ordinary Degree (Pass) - 35-40

What's that mean?!

In comparison to the U.S GPA:
First Class Honors : 4.0 GPA
Second Class Honors (Upper) : 3.33-3.67 GPA
Second Class Honors (Lower) : 3.0 GPA
Third Class Honors : 2.30 GPA
Ordinary Degree : 2.0 GPA

If that doesn't make sense, have no fear as it is very confusing to myself. I would also like to thank Katy Holliday for trying to explain this to me as well as trusty Google... And apparently, in the United Kingdom, to be eligible to move on to a masters program you must achieve 1st or 2nd class honors (2:1, 2:2), although candidates with a Third or Ordinary Degree may be accepted... strange.

After all my jargon it still isn't sitting right, I have received a B on my paper.

If you would like to view my essay, you may view it here in its raw form without corrections:
(Just be patient, as it takes a few seconds for the file to load :D)
You can zoom/out using the tools at the bottom of the Scribd box.
If you would like to view the document in full screen, click the button on the far left.

British Writing & the Enlightenment