Pages

Friday, November 25, 2011

A Very English Thanksgiving

I doubt any American in their right mind would give up a day of complete self-indulgence, (I hope I used that correctly?!), even if they were 4,000 miles away from their own table. To say the least, I am that American.

So I felt the need to bring Thanksgiving across the pond for several of my newest friends who greeted my arrival and welcomed me to Manchester.

The catch? I had never in my lifetime prepared a single dish for Thanksgiving outside of taking the top off of the cranberry sauce. I'd like to thank my mom for taking care of me just before she left on the train for London -- she of course wrote from memory the recipes for sweet potato casserole and the macaroni & cheese I like so much [even if it doesn't go with the traditional Thanksgiving meal].

On Wednesday, like most things I do [last minute], we headed to Asda to buy all the essentials for our Thanksgiving feast. Led by my shopping list ("mana mou re!") we filled our shopping cart to the brim.

On to Thanksgiving Day...

It ran much like a Charlie Brown special, with broken pie crusts, nervous turkey cooking, eating pies before they have settled in the fridge, and a lesson that turkey goes well with pretty much anything -- especially the chocolate cream pie.

Myself, with the help of Panayiota, Dominic, and David, began preparing the meal at 1pm. By 6.15pm the table was set. By 6.30pm, Russian Alex had KO-ed himself after one plate (amateur). By 7pm the parsnips and roasted potatoes were finished being cooked after being started around 5pm, ugh, our luck. ;D

Room for dessert? Of course! (sort of at least) -- chocolate cream pie with an enormous amount of canned whipped topping.

On this day, I would like to say I'm thankful to my family for everything they do, especially to my parents for allowing me to live out my study abroad dream. Second, I would like to thank all of the staff at UNCG Study Abroad & Exchanges for providing me with the ability to pursue my dream. Third, I would like to thank my new family of friends here in Manchester for taking me under my wing and enhancing my experience abroad. And finally, to the Boston Bruins for winning the Stanley Cup last year. :]

(Not pictured: Ravi and Alex as we sent them to get drinks from Sainsbury's.)




(David insisted he had his photo taken with the sweet potato casserole.)








(Can't have Thanksgiving photos without a photo of the mess that directly follows it!)



Note: For the full photo album of "An English Thanksgiving" feel free to visit my Facebook.


Oh and, to let the cat out of the bag early... well at least because Andrew Mackinnon said I could [gloat] about it-- I'm going to see Southampton FC play Bolton in Southampton (Saint Mary's Stadium) on December 10th! Big news as I am a recently new supporter of the Saints, courtesy of Mack who is now teaching me the ropes to being a Saint. So a big thanks to him for arranging tickets! <-- a great Thanksgiving Day surprise.