Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Czech Press Release

As I mentioned in an earlier post about the Manchester Metros trip to the Czech Republic, I was asked to write a short press release to be printed in the Zlin newspapers prior to our arrival. After spending a while sorting out my words, I have completed the press release and it has been sent off to be printed. It may have been in Friday's paper, but if not, it will feature in a newspaper on a day during the coming week.

I have asked Michal (organizer) to save a copy of the newspaper for my portfolio. My future career is really undefined as I have several opportunities-- journalist, speech writer, creative writer-- that I could potentially select from. Regardless of whatever I decide to specialize in, this press release will be a great addition to my collection of writings.

"On behalf of the Manchester Metros organisation, I would like to take the time to say how much of an honour it is to have this opportunity to come to Zlín to play the UTB Hockey Team. International friendlies offer university students an opportunity to make friends all across Europe, while learning about new places. They also promote the acceptance of cultures different from one’s own by immersing students into the lives of others. These opportunities come through the common bond of sport and a love of hockey. The Manchester Metros organisation promotes ice hockey as a sport open to students of all abilities. The organisation urges the development of skills as well as teamwork and dedication. The Metros traveling to Zlín embody the attributes the organisation promotes, and will play with the belief that they can win.

The Manchester Metros look forward to being guests of the city of Zlín. Although we have been invited to play hockey, we are very eager to tour the city and the University and see first-hand the beauty that Zlín has to offer. We understand the importance of the city’s own, Tomas Bata, and the figure he represents to the citizens of a modern Zlín. We hope to learn about your culture as well as share about our own.

This international friendly will forever connect Manchester with Zlín and Zlín with Manchester.

Kind Regards,

Allen Gunn
Manchester Metros
Committee Member"



To further illustrate this great opportunity, I found a snippet of a poem that perfectly describes all that sits before myself and the Manchester Metros organization in the coming weeks; and further, to the latter part of my stay.

And I could fall
into the promise of this morning,
ride its rush across continents.
--David Underdown "7:10 a.m. Friday, 16 October 2009" (Time Lines; 2011)