Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Within the Ruins

Within the Ruins invaded Manchester last night on the Bonecrusher Fest 2012.
I got myself up and moving towards the venue around 5 to hangout with Cocchi and the gang.
And I will say it is always great to see someone from back home, especially a world away.
I can also say it is really cool to be a part of their first experience in Europe.
They've come a long way since Driven By Fear (2006 EP). :]

I invited my friend from hockey, Jack Miller, who also enjoys going to shows.
He was in for the full "rockstar" treatment hanging in the "bands only' room.

Betraying the Martyrs - *****
These French dudes are receiving full marks for being really down to earth guys & amazing at creating music. I had listened to them prior to knowing they would be on this tour, but I was fully impressed after seeing them live. BTM put on a great live show with tons of energy. Victor Guillet (keyboards) has such a sick singing voice that made the choruses sound massive. They are definitely a "must check out" band if you've never listened to them before.

Molotov Solution - ****
Molotov are getting 4 stars, I enjoy a few songs by them (The Harbinger, Awakening, ect...), but have never been a diehard fan. They did put on a great set though, so I cannot knock them for not doing that. I think it is most difficult to be the band directly before Within the Ruins because all I want is to see WTR!

Within The Ruins -

As of course, the main event for myself. I was right up front ready to go. Within the Ruins have always been great live, their music is like a story that has the best beginning, a juicy middle, and a climactic ending with a surprise always tossed in. Their set consisted of Controller, Arsenal, Versus, Red Flagged, Tractor Pull, and Invade. The crowd loved them, which is so great to see! I like seeing my friends be successful with what they're good at. I felt like a champion when Tim dedicated Tractor Pull to me. And after being sick the last 3 days, its difficult to hold back singing along so to say the least, my voice is shot!

Beneath the Massacre - ***
There is not much to say except, it is really difficult to listen to Beneath the Massacre for THAT long. When I've listened to their albums in the past, its normally one song here and there spread out over a few weeks. The problem is, is they're so technically inclined and everything happens so quick like, that you're unable to comprehend what is happening. I do admit they are gifted musically because they can play the crazy stuff they write. I remember Jack looking over to me after one of their songs and going, "that was horrific.", with the most serious face possible.

Carnifex - ****
These guys are grabbing 4 stars, but it could easily be 5. I like Carnifex, but I can only listen to them in small ratios because it is so heavy. Although, Cocchi did say they're much better live than on their albums. I can agree with that point. The albums they seem really sluggy without too much definition in their sound, but live it is a world of difference. They are indeed fantastic live. If you haven't had a chance to see them live I would suggest it.

All in all, I really enjoyed the show. It was great spending time with the guys in WTR and I look forward to seeing them more when I get back to the States. Unfortunately, the dudes in Betraying the Martyrs buggered off before I bought my merch from them so I will have to wait till they come round again!

I apologize for my lack of photos but I was too busy catching up to take photos! D: