Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

Being a local, return to Britain

Thursday was debatable.
I really had no firm plans made and I was knackered from all the walking I'd done.
That said, there were two options I had had in mind.
1) Catch a coach to Šibenik and see the Krka National Park.
or...
2) "Act" like a local and just enjoy Split.

I went for option two. It also saved money-- a plus.
And hidden in option two was to find a Croatian national team kit.
There were several fan made kits at the market stalls, but I wanted the real deal.
To solve my dilemma, I thought, "When in doubt, find a mall!"
I located the nearest mall, which was called Joker (pronounced yo-ker) and I headed out.
Along the route, I passed an MG Sport that had the latest 2012 Croatian kit in the window.
My luck!



I ended up purchasing a jersey & scarf. (To add to my growing collection of scarves!)
And to celebrate, an ice cream cone from Hajduk!



And I finally got a photo of Veneranda!





To conclude, Croatia is one of the most fascinating places I've ever been to.
It has similarities to the Czech Republic in terms of structure, but also vast differences.
So it is definitely bittersweet to return to Manchester as Split had become a part of me.
I've said it once via Twitter and I will continue to say it again, and again, and again:
Croatia is a beautiful country, filled with beautiful people.
That is definitely in all sense of the word beautiful: language, interactions, personal look, ect.
I really had no expectations about Croatia because it would be a completely new experience.
That, compared to countries like France, Germany, Spain...
Where you have a general idea of what you are going to see.
--Simply because we see Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Lyon, Munich, ect in the news all the time.
And that is not saying I will not be visiting Paris, ect, I just have an idea of what to expect!
Since I see it in photos and in videos, I feel like I've visited these places mentally.

Croatia is exotic. Croatia is different. Croatia is absolutely stunning.
Croatia is definitely worth your time!