Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Split, Sightseeing

I awoke in Split on my first day but was in no hurry to get ready.
Once I got the energy to get out of the cozy bottom bunk, I had tea waiting for me.
Fantastic, Filip, the owner of hostel, knows how to make his residents happy!
After chatting with him for a bit on what to do, I got ready for the day.

I emerged onto Ulica Petra Cajkovskog and into the 20C weather around 11am.
The night before, I had seen shirts, jackets, graffiti, ect, promoting HNK Hajduk Split.
And being the sporting guy myself, I headed right to Stadion Poljud, the home of Hajduk.
The grounds are located in the northern part of Split peninsula.



From what I hear, Hajudk supporters, known as Torcida, are some of the rowdiest in Europe.
Filip described the celebration as "it looked like they had set the city on fire."
Don't believe me? This is the city of Split celebrating HNK Hajduk's 100 year anniversary:
(The prelude lasts until 1:20, then the celebration begins.)



After visiting Stadion Poljud, I passed by the Split Archeology Museum.
Though, I did not go inside the museum there are several artifacts on display.



Once I had perused the outer part of the museum, I was then off to mount Marjan,
Marjan is forest located at the tip of the peninsula of Split.
And my, it was a trek around that peninsula and my feet were feeling it.
Though, along the way there were great photo opportunities of Split and its surroundings.





Travel Tip:
I didn't take the chance to do so, but there are bikes for rental at the entrance to the Marjan.
I definitely suggest this as there is a lot of ground to cover.
Bikes are rented out at 15 KN/hr (£2; $3).







When I had had enough walking, I returned back to the hostel to recover.
Feeding time arrived pretty quickly and I asked Filip for his restaurant suggestions.
His recommendation to all guests was Buffet Fife, a "home-cooked meal" type restaurant.



Again, I wanted to know what to order, something "Croatian," dare I say?
Filip was quick to suggest pašticada-- a stewed beef dish served with njoki.
The meal was delicious! The beef is so tender because of the in-depth marination process.



If you are ever in the area, I highly suggest Buffet Fife.
The atmosphere is very casual and the waiters & waitresses are as nice as could be.
Unlike most restaurants where you're in and out, Fife does not rush you to the bill.
Even if you are done, they will not bring you the bill until you request it.
Also there aren't really "set tables", so other guests may be sitting with you, its great!

Buffet Fife is also reasonably priced. My meal was 62 KN (£7; $11).
And the portions are very considerate as I was unable to finish all of the njoki.