Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tallin, Estonia

Finally getting around to this one!
Last Wednesday I had the opportunity to travel and spend one day in Estonia's capital city, Tallinn.
Once again, the weather was cooperating just perfectly.
Thru Tallink Silja, I easily booked my ferry across the Gulf of Finland.
Although Estonia can be accessed without disruption, it can be affected by lack of sleep.
I had spent much of the previous night with Jussi & his brother at a 4th of July celebration.









My original idea was to visit St. Petersburg in Russia, but that required a lengthy visa process.
I can say I have visited a former USSR Satellite State.
Regardless, Tallinn was a great choice as it's Old Town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
In 2011, it was the European Capital of Culture (shared with Turku, Finland).
What I like most about Tallinn is its contrast between new and old.
It is something that is seen throughout the city.
I enjoyed a relaxed day in Estonia, which was much needed.
The park located next to the Old Town provided shade from the sun.

Now I will let a few photos take center stage.

(I feel my blog writings have taken a few hits due to the terrible new layout system blogger uses. Just an FYI why my last few posts have seemed a little lackluster! I can't arrange photos or type layouts the way I used to as I am awful with HTML.) 
 
Viru Gate, an entrance to the Old Town.

Alexandre Nevsky Cathedral
St. Nicholas' Church