Pages

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Uni Survival Guide (Entry I)

My posting rate has been down and I've been thinking how to fix that -- introducing: how a uni student beats the hunger bug with money left for a pint.

I will dish out (no pun intended) the cheap seats recipes that have kept this student in fine learning shape. Warning: Don't expect this to rise to the ranks of culinary greatness as sometimes I have to resort to "whatever is left in the cupboard." We'll see how the response goes to know if this continues further...

On the cooker tonight:
ALLEN'S UNI STIR FRY / WANNABE HIBACHI

Ingredients:
1 Carrot
1 Courgette
1/4 Onion
1 Chicken Breast
Ample amounts of Broccoli
Soy Sauce (a grand total of .79p)
Fresh Pasta (can't a guy treat himself to a handbag?)

Cue childhood memories of hibachi steakhouses at NCAA Regionals, hockey trips, and birthday meals: I start by firing up the hob (front low-medium & back medium) to get the oil heating up alongside the water. Whilst I wait, I slice and dice the veg and chicken. Chicken then goes on first and as it simmers I drop a wee amount of butter on top. *insert several fancy knife moves*. By now the chicken should be decently cooked through -- enough to begin adding veg at least. Section the chicken off to the side and add in broccoli, followed by carrot, followed by courgette, followed by onion. Integrate the chicken back into the mix. When satisfied add soy sauce to the mix until you see fit. Strain the pasta, dump back into the sauce pan, and then add in the "wannabe hibachi". Tuck in.

For true culinary genius and a bit of a laugh, check out my pal and former Within the Ruins guitarist, Kyle Marcoux's site, The Vulgar Chef. (Parental Advisory)