Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Uni Survival Guide (Entry II)

Tonight's lush meal:
ROAST VEG CHICKEN SOUP

1 Carrot
1 Parsnip
1 Potato
1/4 or 1/2 Onion
1 Chicken breast
Pasta noodles
Vegetable powder/stock
(^ I use Bouillon Reduced Salt)

Where to start... Preheat the oven to 180C and coat the bottom of a roasting dish with olive oil. Slice and dice the carrot, parsnip, potato, and onion. After the oil has had time to heat up coat with pepper and thyme. Dump in the veg and shake it about. I usually do not add the onion in until the last 15 minutes. Let roast in the oven for 45 minutes (-ish. Its what I go for). Every 15 minutes I take it out and stir the veg up.


After the veggies pass the 30 minute mark fire up the hob and cook a diced chicken breast. While all this is going on have the vegetable stock heating up. I typically just dump the noodles right into the stock to cook. Once the chicken is cooked shred it up. Its tedious, but hey, its got to be done!

Take the roast veg out and add to the stock -- try and limit how much excess oil is dumped into the stock. Cook on the single hob until noodles are soft.

And that's about it. It is probably my favourite meal as I am a big soup guy.