Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

Arrival in Minden

It is a late post, I know, but I've been busy catching up with my old high school friend!
I arrived in Minden, Germany to visit Thorben & his family, who had graciously accepted me into their home. It is/was the first time I touched German soil, which was pretty exciting.

I had little trouble getting thru German customs a side form the barrage of questions on why I wanted entrance into Germany. Thorben found me after he shook off his fan club at the airport ;D. I won't go into detail of how fast we went on the Autobahn, but we got to Minden pretty quickly, shhh!

Continuing on because I of course made it into the country and to Thorben's!

The first night was just a home cooked meal by Achim (T's father).
Was really nice to catch up!

After getting to bed on an air mattress that didn't keep its air all night, we awoke to fair weather.
It was a nice change of pace from the typical English weather.

Thorben took myself and Annija, the friend of his Latvian exchange around Minden for the day.











Following a dinner prepared by Thorben's mom, which included roasted potatoes, Thorben took myself and his girlfriend to his friend's birthday.

Now, to be honest, being around Thorben while he is talking in German with his parents is completely fine. But being around about 10+ German speakers who you don't know is a little intimidating. Although I did meet several of Thorben's friends who are all really nice. I found it to be a nice gesture when one would speak to me in English. Even if they seemed shy about trying, it was nice that they acknowledged I have zero percent German ability aside from some flattering phrases. :D