Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

"Penny Lane is in my ears and in my eyes..."

Was another early day, an 8am start for a 9,07AM train to Liverpool!
When deciding to go to Liverpool just 3 days before, I really had NO plans in mind of what I was going to see. It was a well spur of the moment decision to go, but I had 3 days off from uni, so instead of just sitting around, I felt the need to get out.

I had heard many different reactions towards Liverpool - some like it, some don't.
Was definitely a city I had to see for myself.

Everyone always asks about the weather, so I will get it out of the way here...
The weather was fair all day. Patches of rain every so often, but it was manageable!
The sun also made several appearances which was nice!
I definitely couldn't complain as I was outside all day.

Now...

Upon arriving in Liverpool, my first stop was Anfield, home of Liverpool FC.
My woes started here... as I got out of the taxi after a nice chat to the stadium with the driver (an Everton supporter), I left my rail card & tickets on the back seat. Oh jeez... That's my karma for picking the Liverpool tour instead of the Everton one...





None the less, I enjoyed the tour to the best of my ability, as my rail card mishap was fresh on my mind. Although, in honest opinion, Anfield isn't the brightest football ground in the world. It is pretty basic to its history, which is neat in itself though! The tour guide did talk about plans in the works about either upgrading the facilities at Anfield or rebuilding a completely new ground close by.



I think my favorite bit of the tour was when this lad sniffed, full on, Steven Gerrard's kit, and then proceeded to kiss it several times.
It was a good laugh to watch!



Another good little story, a second favorite moment, was when the tour guide asked me if I was a big Liverpool fan-- I was wearing my Southampton, red and white scarf underneath my coat. I promptly replied, "naww, I support Southampton," as proud as I could :'] (I think that would make Andrew Mackinnon proud). She responded with a chuckle by asking "Southampton?! What are you doing all the way up here then?!"

My excitement for visiting Anfield boiled over when I got to touch the "This is Anfield" sign. I would compare it to the likes of Notre Dame's, "Play Like A Champion Today" sign. Though, everytime I think of the Notre Dame sign, I get so fired up, and I would play like a champion.



And thru the red door...
View from "The Kop" end.



After visiting Anfield, I made a quick stop by Everton's grounds on the suggestion of the taxi driver. And in hopes of visiting it, I would reverse my luck.



The story changes...

I made my way back to Lime Street Station to inquire about getting a new ticket home...
Oh Allen...
Luckily, it only cost me £10 to get a ticket sorted back to Piccadilly.
I decided to walk past the taxi line, just by chance he maybe returned.
When I felt I was plum out of luck, I saw a big grin behind one of the windshields.
Next thing I know, he is holding his hand out the window, nodding his head.
In his hand, my rail card. :'D
As I told him several times: "You are an absolute legend."
He couldn't help but agree, and too right he should!

After a quick conversation with him about how I visited Goodison Park, (He told "Good lad!"), and I was once again off on my adventures. I got myself lost after I visited the Metropolitan Catholic Cathedral so I flagged a taxi down to get me to Albert Docks in time for my Beatles tour.





Let me tell you: whether you are a Beatles worshiper, or know the "just" and the big hits, I suggest the Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour. It brings you back in time to the birthplaces of all the members as well as the first place where John Lennon met Paul McCartney.



I think the most emotional part of the tour would be listening to "Penny Lane" while driving down Penny Lane and seeing everything they talk about in the song right before your eyes. I literally felt transported back to the 1960s.



Here are several pictures from the Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour:

Ringo Starr's street (Madryn Street )where he lived till he was 3.
Then he moved to the next street over! xD




Penny Lane's Tony Slavin' Barber Shop where the Beatles got their haircut:
"Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
Of every head he's had the pleasure to have known
And all the people that come and go
Stop and say hello..."


George Harrison's house:


Strawberry Field, the inspiration for "Strawberry Fields Forever"


John Lennon's place of residence while growing up.
Lived a short distance from Brian Epstein.


20 Forthlin Road, Paul McCartney's residence growing up.
His room was the top right, which was the smallest room in the house.
Hit Beatles songs were written in the living room (bottom left window).


For full photos from my visit to Liverpool, visit my Facebook.