Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Friday Scrimmage; Visit to Rotherham

Friday night's scrimmage at Deeside in Wales was serious business.
Not only was it the last night to show the selection committee our skills, but also we had a guest visitor, the great Barnaby Joe, (well Shayne), deliver the pregame pep talk.
Who, once he saw me take the first picture, he played out his character to its full potential. XD



I was on the top line at center for the white team and in my first shift, I picked up the gate and a got a 2 minute slashing penalty -- Direct quote from the D2: Might Ducks: "2 minutes well worth it." The other center pushed me off the faceoff after the puck had gone and I wasn't gonna have any of it!



I played fairly well all night setting up several opportunities for both my wingers and for the D.
But if we were keeping 'real' score, it should be on the hits the little guy (myself) dished out.
7+ good ones that I can be proud of. :D

Following trials I left with Alex Frewin and his dad to head back to their place in Rotherham, about an hour east of Manchester. We would be heading to "Puck Stop" or the closest and best hockey shop. Apparently the estate the Frewin house resides is on the land once or still owned by the Duke of Yorkshire. (I think it was Yorkshire if I remember correctly...)

The Frewin residence in Rotherham:


We headed into Sheffield at 1.30ish, but only after a deliciously cooked breakfast made by Mrs. Frewin. On our trek to Puck Stop we passed by one of the locations where the movie Four Lions was filmed at.



After venturing to the where I picked up 4 rolls of tape, we headed back to the Frewin residence. But along the way we stopped in at Sheffield's most haunted pub: the Carbrook Hall. It is said that the hall dates back to the 12th century and was once home to Sir John Bright, Baronet (d. 1688)... who knows though! It is old and haunted, that is all I know.



Following our adveture thru Rotherham and Sheffield, we went back to the Frewin house for dinner. After that, it was my time to head back to Manchester via train. But before I could leave, we made a stop at the South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue station where Alex's dad drives the fire engines.