Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

Things I've learned:

Welp it has been exactly a month since I set off on my journey from the Charlotte airport to Manchester and I already feel far wiser than I had when I left. I have met some fantastic people already and I plan to meet many more; I have been told I have a thick accent where in America I felt I had none; I have been told the way I say "awesome" is the correct 'American' way to say it; And I have seen places in real life that months and dreams before I had only seen in pictures.

I like to be serious. But I far more enjoy being not serious...

Some things I have learned since arriving:
1) Never check weather.com or any other weather device. It is always wrong.
2) Buy an umbrella before the unexpected 'Indian Summer'.
3) The 'Indian Summer' rarely happens, I got lucky.
4) The 'Indian Summer' is a tease, and should be treated as such.
5) Talking about an 'Indian Summer' only makes it worse.
6) ALWAYS LOOK RIGHT BEFORE CROSSING THE STREET.
7) Then look left when you get to the middle of the street.
8) Or do as I do: look left, realize you looked the wrong and then look right.
9) DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO THE CROSS SIGN. Look at the light. If it is red, give it a second, start walking, and pray to the almighty crossing lord that it does not turn red&yellow at the same time.
10) Oh, about weather: No rain, probably means rain. Rain, means probably rain, but the off chance you may see sun is good. Then again, it will probably just rain.
12) £1 strawberries, are £1 pound, not 1 lbs.
13) Always expect it to be windy. (And generally rainy)
14) I cannot emphasize this enough! PRACTICE PUTTING ON THE DUVET COVER BEFORE ARRIVING, IT WILL SAVE YOU LARGE AMOUNTS OF TIME.
15) The London Eye looks like it is not that high up. Don't be fooled. I got weak knees.
16) A £5 pound foot long from Subway sounds like a great deal, till you convert it to dollars...
17) Get used to chips with every meal, even with your pizza from Pizza Hut.
18) Old Trafford really is a Theatre of Dreams. Bring Kleenex and be prepared for goosebumps.
19) Cypriots understand Americans easier than they do the British. Apparently our accent is more clearer. Oh and Cypriots are the coolest people out there.
20) Skype is a great invention. Perfect use not to miss volleyball, even when you are 4,000 miles away.
21) There are no air conditioners. When it is hot. It is deathly hot inside buildings.
22) Slag, fit, crips, chips, uni, aluminium, ect... use the lingo, it'll give your British mates a good chuckle hearing their words in an American accent.
23) Life without the Arndale would be meaningless. Add Southern 11 to that as well.
24) If you are in the Manchester area, 5th Avenue is the greatest nightclub ever. EVER.
25) The sketchy girl at Burger King will like how you say "ketchup"; be prepared.
26) Looking and talking like an American is alright. You can use it to lure in girls quite easily. But remember! : Use it. Don't abuse it.
27) Just hope you are stuck with an "annoying" American accent as they say here...
28) Read up on Los Angeles, New York City, Miami, Chicago, or any big U.S city. You will be asked about it.
29) Be familiar with The Hills, Real World, ect. You will be asked about it.
30) Take trips to places. You're so close to literally EVERYTHING!